Zahra Abdalla's green lentil soup with kale
Middle Eastern 30 Mins Prep · 60 Mins Cook
- Soak the lentils in water for 30 minutes, then drain and keep aside.
- Finely chop the onions. Finely chop the kale.
- Mince the ginger and the garlic.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium-sized cast-iron pot. Add the onions and sauté until translucent. Add the ginger and garlic and sauté until fragrant, then add the kale and cook until the leaves have wilted.
- Add the lentils and vegetable stock. Cover the pot and leave to cook on a medium-low heat for approx. 45 minutes. Juice the lemon and orange and add the juices to the pot. Season with the salt and black pepper.
- Serve in a bowl with a squeeze of lemon for extra flavour, if preferred.