Shaya (Sudanese-style grilled lamb cubes)
African 10 Mins Prep · 7 Mins Cook
- Peel and quarter the onion. Quarter the tomato. Peel the garlic.
- To make the marinade, place the onion, tomato, garlic cloves, vinegar, oil, salt, pepper and nutmeg in a food processor. Pulse until a paste forms.
- In a large bowl, combine the lamb cubes with the marinade, making sure all the meat is covered. Cover the bowl with cling film and allow to rest in fridge for a least 30 minutes.
- Remove the meat from the fridge and allow it to sit on the kitchen counter for 15 minutes.
- To cook the meat, place a large cast-iron skillet on a prepared barbecue. Add a drizzle of vegetable oil to the pan and heat till it starts smoking.
- Grill the lamb cubes in batches until the meat is browned and cooked to your liking.
- Serve hot with salatat aswaad or salatat dakwa on the side.